Saturday, July 28, 2012

Takeaway in the township

Over the last two weeks I have ventured into the townships with one of my colleagues for lunch on two occasions.  Mr X knows the townships like the back of his hand and some of the places we stopped at I don't think I will every find again.  The first time we got amagwinya (vetkoek or fatcake which is a ball of dough deep fried in oil) with sliced polony at one of the informal takeaways doing business from a shipping container.  A vetkoek costs R1-50 while the slice of polony is R1 so you can just about stuff yourself with three of those for R7-50.  For the international readers that is about $1 or just more than half an English pound.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like my kind of place to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I long for "home" when reading your post. Greetings from Jo, Tanzania.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The grille says a lot about the nature of the area though!

    ReplyDelete