Wednesday, November 9, 2011

War Memorial cross

Its always an exciting moment when I discover something in Port Elizabeth that I didn't know about before.  This was the case the other day when I noticed this foliage in the shape of a cross in St Georges Park just behind the Nelson Mandela Metropolitan Art Gallery

The plaque reads:  In memory of all those South African men and women who lost their lives in the various wars.  Not for themselves but for others. 

I always knew of the Cenotaph outside the entrance to the park, the Prince Alfred Guard Memorial and a third war memorial which I just realised that I haven't taken a photo of before (Note to self: Go take photo of war memorial plaque at St Georges).  This means that St Georges Park has four war memorials... that I know of. 

1 comment:

  1. An appropriate post for Poppy Day coming up.. on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month"

    ReplyDelete